I will not work with Pakistani talent in future: Karan
Karan Johar has finally broken his silence over the controversy of his film Ae Dil Hai Mushkil that has been the subject of intense political debate after MNS called for a ban on the film owing to the presence of Pakistani actor Fawad Khan in it.
Speaking out for the first time, Karan Johar through a video message put his country before self and saluted the Indian army for their valour. The director condemned terrorism and also declared that going forward he wouldn’t work with Pakistani talents given the current circumstances prevailing in India. Interestingly, Karan referred to Pakistan only as neighbouring country in the message.
Karan also implored fellow Indians to not undermine the work of scores of other Indians who toiled hard to help complete the film, reports Indian Express.
Karan expressed fervent hope that they will not have to face any sort of turbulence and reiterated his patriotism for the country by saying he loves India above everything else.
Below is Karan Johar’s statement:
There is been some talk about why I have remained silent for the past two weeks. Today I will clarify that the reason why I have remained silent is because of they deep sense of hurt and a deep sense of pain I felt that a few people would actually believe that I am anti- national and I need to say this and I say it with strength.
For me my country comes first and nothing else matters to me but my country. I have always felt that the best way to express your patriotism is by spreading love and that is all I have ever tried to do through my work and through my cinema. When I shot my film Ae Dil Hai Mushkil in September to December last year the climate was completely different. The circumstances were completely different.
There were efforts made by our government for peaceful relationship with our neighbouring country and I respected those endeavours and efforts then and I respect the sentiments today. I understand the sentiment because I feel the same. Going forward I would like to say that of course I will not engage with talent from the neighbouring country given the circumstance. But with that same energy I beseech you to know one thing. That over 300 Indian people in my crew have put their blood, sweat and tears into my film ADHM and I don’t think it is fair to them to face any kind of turbulence out of other fellow Indians.
I respect the Indian army and salute our army for everything they do to protect us and our environment. I respect them with all my heart and I say any form of terrorism any form specially the terrorism that would affect my people, my country and me. I just hope all of you understand the circumstance and situation we are in and respect the fact that we love and respect our country over and above anything else.’
The single-screen theatre operators have announced that they would not screen Johar’s upcoming film. MNS activists had later threatened to vandalise multiplexes if Ae Dil Hai Mushkil was screened. MNS leader Amey Khopkar said, “We will oppose the screening of the movie everywhere in the state. If any multiplex operator dares to screen the film, they (operators) should remember that multiplexes are decorated with expensive glass sheets.”
Author Chetan Bhagat, meanwhile, slammed the protests against Ae Dil Hai Mushkil saying preventing release of film made in compliance with Indian laws is neither fair nor just. He said it’s for the audience to decide whether they want to watch the film or not.
The film is slated to to release on October 28.