National

Karwan Bazar fire brought under control after two-hour effort

The fire that broke out at a timber market in the capital’s Karwan Bazar has been brought under control after nearly two hours of effort by firefighters.

According to the Fire Service, the blaze was contained at 12:38 am on Monday (February 16). The control room had received the first report of the fire at 10:28 pm.

Shahjahan Hossain, duty officer at the Fire Service Control Room, said the fire originated at a wood shop next to SA Paribahan. Four units were initially dispatched to the scene. Later, the number of units was increased to 10 in phases to bring the situation under control.

Fire Service officer Anwarul Islam said the flames spread across different floors of an L-shaped five-storey building in the Kathpatti area. Officials and employees of the building said a Huggies diaper warehouse operates from the second to the fifth floors. A timber warehouse is located nearby.

 

He added that further details would be shared after the fire is fully extinguished. No casualties have been reported so far.