Govt decides to shut down coaching centres from April
The Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) and its equivalent examinations of 2019 will begin under 10 education boards across the country on April 1 amid tough measures taken to check question paper leakage and other malpractices in the examinations.
“A total of 13, 51,505 examinees from 9,081 educational institutions will appear in the examinations this year. Of them, 6, 64,496 are male and 6, 87,009 female students,” Education Minister Dr Dipu Moni told a press conference at her office in Dhaka, reports BSS.
As many as 13, 11,457 examinees including 6, 92,730 male students from 8,943 educational institutions took part in the examinations last year, she added.
The government has decided to shut down all coaching centres from April 1 to May 6, she said, adding, “We have taken decision to shut down all coaching centres till completion of the HSC examinations.”
Secretary of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Division Md Sohrab Hossain, Secretary of Technical and Madrasah Education Division Md Alamgir, senior officials of the ministry and chairmen of different education board, among others, were present at the press conference.
Except in-charge of examination centre, no one will be allowed to carry mobile phone or electronic devices, the minister said, adding, “We have directed the authorities to take action instantly, if anyone will violate the official order.”
The law enforcement agencies have been asked to intensify their monitoring for stopping any ill attempt over spreading rumor regarding question paper leakage through social media, she added.
The authorities will open envelopes of question papers about 25 minutes before the examinations start and all the authorities concerned are sincerely working to root out all possible sources of question paper leakage as a vested quarter is involved in the malpractices.
A total of 11, 38,747 candidates are set to sit for the examinations from eight general education boards while 88,451 under the Madrasa Education Board and 1, 24,264 from the Technical Education Board.
This year, 40,048 candidates have been increased comparing to the previous year. Some 43 examinees will appear in DIBS examination.
Besides, 275 students will appear in the examinations from eight overseas centres. Candidates with physical disabilities will receive an additional 20 minutes in the examinations while the examinees with special needs, including those with autism, will get 30 additional minutes.
All the examinees have been asked to take their seats in the examination centres 30 minutes before the examinations begin.
The written examinations will continue until May 11 while the practical examinations will be held from May 12 to May 21.