Cyclone Fani: How to stay safe during storm
The severe cyclonic storm Fani will hit Bangladesh on Friday, Bangladesh Meteorological Department said in its updated forecast on Thursday morning.
People residing in coastal areas need to keep some steps in mind to prepare for the storm.
Things to do before storm makes a landfall
1) First of all there is no need to panic. People should stay calm and must ignore rumours.
2) Keep your mobiles charged to stay abreast with the latest information about the cyclone. Also stay updates on radio and TV.
3) Keep a small emergency kit ready in case of any emergency arising out of any injury
4) Keep your important documents in water proof packet or container
5) Secure your house properly and don't keep sharp objects loose lest they cause injury during heavy winds
Things to keep in mind during cyclone
1) Switch off electrical equipment and mainline. Also close gas connections
2) Keep the doors and windows of your house shut as outside objects may hit the house in heavy winds
3) If you think your house may not withstand the fiery winds, then leave before the onset of cyclone
4) Always remember to drink chlorinated or boiled water to avoid any water born diseases
5) Only rely on official information and warnings, avoid rumours and fake news
Things to keep in mind after cyclone
1) Avoid entering damaged building as they may have suffered during the storm
2) Do watch out for broken electric poles, sharp objects and sharp objects
3) Seek a safe refuge soon after the cyclone passes
Precaution for Fishermen
Fishermen in coastal areas need to take extra care by keeping a radio set handy with extra batteries to get latest information about the cyclone. They also need to tied their boats, rafts tied to a safer places. The most important things that they should avoid getting to the sea in rough weather during cyclonic activity.